There are two main types of digestive enzymes that you can get for your pet:
- Animal based
- Vegetarian based
So what’s the difference, and why do we ONLY offer vegetarian digestive enzymes at NWC Naturals® Pet Products?
Animal based (non-vegetarian) enzymes
If the ingredients list on your pet’s enzyme product contains the words “pancreatin” or “pancri-” you are giving your pet an animal based enzyme.
What you should know about animal (pancreas) based enzymes:
- Pancreatic based enzymes are made from the pancreas of pigs and cows
- The enzymes contained in the pancreas of pigs and cows are so similar to those in your dog and cat’s pancreas that your pet’s pancreas will virtually stop manufacturing enzymes causing dependence on the enzyme product for life
- Pancreatic enzymes cause side effects like burning nostrils, irritated skin, vomiting, diarrhea, hives, seizures, and coma
Plant based enzymes
If the ingredients list on your pet’s enzyme product contains words such as “amylase”, “protease”, or “lipase”, you are giving your pet a plant based enzyme.
What you should know about plant based enzymes:
- Plant enzymes are derived from plants or selected microorganisms by the process of natural fermentation
- There are no known side effects of vegetarian enzymes and there is no upper dosing limit
- Plant based enzymes activate immediately in the upper stomach and continue working through the entire digestive track
- Your pet will not become dependent on vegetarian enzymes and can stop at any time
Why Total-Zymes® is the best enzyme for your pet
Total-Zymes® contains 16 different vegetarian digestive enzymes that work at different pH ranges in your pet’s system. It is completely safe, non-habit forming, and contains no fillers.
Total-Zymes® does not contain any chemicals, gluten, dairy, eggs, preservatives, corn, artificial coloring or flavoring. It is Non-GMO. All NWC Naturals® Pet Products are made and bottled in the USA.