Why choose a vegetarian digestive enzyme for your pet
Digestive enzymes have become more popular among pet owners, and rightly so! Good digestion supports healthy bowel movements, immune system, skin, coat, and energy levels. And without the support of digestive enzymes, your pet may have trouble retaining basic nutrition from cooked food. But with so many enzyme supplements available for pets, how can you know which type to select? The first thing to know is there are two main types of digestive enzymes for pets: those made from animal pancreas and those made from vegetarian sources. Today we’ll take a closer look at each so that you can make an informed decision when choosing a high quality digestive enzyme for your pet.
Animal-based (non-vegetarian) enzymes for pets
If the ingredients list on an enzyme product contains the words “pancreatin” or “panc-” it is an animal-based enzyme.
What you should know about enzymes made from pancreas:
- Pancreatic enzymes are made from the pancreas of pigs and cows
- The enzymes contained in the pancreas of pigs and cows are similar to those in your pet’s pancreas. Supplementation with pancreatic enzymes could cause dependence on the enzyme product for life.
- Pancreatic enzymes may cause side effects like irritated skin, vomiting, diarrhea, hives, seizures, and coma.
Plant-based vegetarian enzymes for pets
If the ingredients list on an enzyme product contains words such as “amylase”, “protease,” or “lipase,” it is a plant-based enzyme.
What you should know about plant based (vegetarian) enzymes:
- Plant enzymes are derived from plants or selected microorganisms by the process of natural fermentation.
- There are no known side effects of supplementing with vegetarian enzymes and there is no upper dosing limit.
- Plant-based enzymes activate immediately in the upper stomach and continue working through the entire digestive track.
- Your pet’s body will not become dependent on vegetarian enzymes and he or she can safely stop taking them at any time.
Total-Zymes®: a vegetarian digestive enzyme for your pet
Total-Zymes® contains 16 different vegetarian digestive enzymes that work at different pH ranges in your pet’s body. It is completely safe, non-habit forming, and contains no fillers.
Total-Zymes® does not contain any chemicals, gluten, dairy, eggs, preservatives, corn, artificial coloring or flavoring. It is Non-GMO. All NWC Naturals® products are made and bottled in the USA.