Foods that are harmful for pets
We love eating a healthy snack with our pets from time to time like this Dog Friendly “Trail Mix” Recipe (which is the perfect summer snack!) Or make these yummy treats for your dog: Rooibos Tea Dog Treats Recipe. There are, however, certain “people” foods that are NOT good for you pet. For example, while there are vegetables that are good for your dog, these same vegetables may not be good for your cat because cats have different dietary needs.
People foods that are harmful for pets:
- Grapes & raisins
- Milk & dairy
- Macadamia Nuts
- Animal bones
There are also pet snack choices that may sometimes be promoted as healthy, but that really do more harm than good.
Snacks your pet should avoid:
- Peanut butter- too high in fats and may contain too much sugar. Can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
- Cheese- most pets are lactose intolerant which can cause gas, bloating, diarrhea and vomiting.
- Chips or any human snack food- too much salt can cause diarrhea, vomiting, seizures and death.
- Pig’s ears- too high in fat
- Bread or other human carbohydrates- can cause bloating and death
The bottom line: Don’t risk it. Always do research before giving your pet a “people” food. And always give your pet Total-Zymes® digestive enzymes with each meal to support healthy digestion and nourishment.